Fair Hill

Natural Resource areas and parks are a great relaxing place to go to get away from it all. Always a wonderful place to connect with nature. Most have always been a serene area with no human interference, while others may have a little more than hikers and nature fanatics bargained for.

Fair Hill (300 Tawes Dr. Elkton, MD 21921) is a Natural Resource Management area that sits on about 5600 acres of land. The natural resource area is located in Northeast Cecil County right outside of Elkton. It was purchased in 1975 from William Du Pont Jr., a popular fox hunter, and horse racing enthusiast. Du Pont was a well-known citizen in Elkton for bringing horse racing to town since he purchased the property in 1926, but he is not the only known owner of Fair Hill. Some owners have left their tragic marks and still have not left.

Fair Hill was once home to a very rich gentleman and his younger wife. The husband loved to travel but never took his wife with him, causing her to get lonely and develop a friendship with the local blacksmith. Eventually, this friendship turned into love and they decided to try to run away together while her husband was gone. Unfortunately on their departure day, her husband returned home, discovering their plan. In a fit of rage, he shot the blacksmith and then beat his wife to death while she cried over the blacksmith’s body. To cover up his crime, he made a deal with his slave Lucas and asked for his help in burying them and for his silence in exchange for his freedom. They were buried together near the blacksmith’s shop and a tree stump was placed over the grave.

The jealous husband eventually moved on and met another woman he planned on remarrying. On the day of his wedding, a white horse had a fit at the grave spot near the blacksmith’s shop and managed to dig up the bodies. In fear of facing murder charges, the husband ran into his home and leaped out of an upper window, killing himself.

The home and the buildings on the property were eventually destroyed over the years. People have claimed however to have seen a white horse with a man dressed in black and carrying a whip on the property. Even though the blacksmith’s shop is gone, visitors claim to hear the sounds of metal clanking together as if he is still working.

Resources

Maryland Department of Natural Resources (n.d.) Fair Hill Natural Resources Management Area. Retrieved from https://dnr.maryland.gov/publiclands/Pages/central/fairhill.aspx

Maryland Historical Trust MD Inventory of Historic Properties.

Fair Hill Estate Historic District (CE-1434) [Electronic Record]; Maryland Historical Trust Determination of Eligibility Form; Records of the Maryland Historical Trust; Maryland State Archives at 21 State Circle, Shaw House, Annapolis, MD 21401

Okonowicz,E. (2010). The Big Book of Maryland Ghost Stories. Stackpole Books. Mechanicsburg, PA