Frederick County Historical Society

Frederick County Historical Society

Frederick County Historical Society

Not all haunted places were once a place of terror or tragedy. Some places held happy memories and positive energy. One place in Frederick was such a positive place, some refuse to leave!


Frederick County Historical SocietyIn the early 1800’s Dr. John Baltzell built a beautiful home at 24 East Church St. The home stood out for having a hanging staircase. He was the owner until 1854 when Alexander Hanson bought the property. John Loats was the next owner in 1874 and lived there until his death. He left the home to the Evangelical Lutheran Church who opened it in 1879 as the Loats Female Orphan Asylum. Unlike most stories about orphanages, this one was remembered as a loving place. It was run by Lizzie Kreh. Girls claimed they always felt wanted and loved there. They were welcomed to stay until they turned 18. The orphanage was in operation until 1958. In 1959 the building was bought by the Historical Society of Frederick County.

Volunteers and employees of the historical society have been reporting strange occurrences since it opened. The empty trunks in the attic are often heard moving around by themselves. An old Grafanola will play by itself when it is difficult to operate and usually has to be cranked by hand. People have seen a woman in a white dress in the building as well. They believe it is Lizzie Kreh, still looking over her girls.


Day, D.G. (1997). A Guide to Historic B&Bs in The Free State: Historic Inns & Famous Houses of Maryland. Eastwind Publishing, MD.

Heritage Frederick (n.d.). Retrieved from

Lakey, L. (2015). Frightful Frederick: 5 Places to Scare in Maryland’s Most Haunted City [Electronic Version]. Porter Briggs retrieved from

Ricksecker, M. (2010) Ghosts of Maryland. Schiffer Publishing. Atglen, PA.

Taylor, T. (1998) Frederick County Historical Society. Prairie Ghosts retrieved from

Weinberg, A. (1992) Spirits of Frederick. Weinberg Publishing, Braddock Heights, MD.