At the turn of the 20th Century, Ellicott City recognized the need to help improve the fire safety of its growing community. During this time the only defense against a blazing fire were buckets of water, the city council and mayor saw the potential of a fire department.
A New Beginning
In 1896, on the corner of what is now Main Street and Church Road, the fire house was constructed. In the beginning it only housed ropes and buckets. After many debates about the town