Jug Monument

Jug Monument
Jug Monument

Monuments have been used to honor a person or event since the beginning of man. Human history is documented over statues, figures, buildings, etc. Cemeteries are filled with stones to honor deceased loved ones. One monument not only commemorated something but was also used in the Civil War.

The Jug Monument was built in the early 1800s by Leonard Harbaugh. He built it to honor Jug Bridge, the bridge he created for the national road. During the Civil War the bridge was used as an escape route for the Union soldiers when the Battle of Monocacy was taking place. People also believed that the soldiers used the monument to hide their alcohol. It was said that Harbaugh put a bottle of whiskey in the jug monument to commemorate it after it was built. It seems the Union soldiers kept his tradition going.


In 1942 the Jug Bridge partially collapsed due to a heavy rain storm and flood waters from the Monocacy river. The bridge was located where Dr. Baxter Road is today. The monument was moved to 1500 East Patrick Street, where it remains today to honor the old bridge and a piece of Civil War History.

The story of the hidden alcohol seemed to taken a life of its own for the old monument. People have been claiming to hear noises from the monument. There have been reports of loud voices and laughing around the monument. Soldiers have been seen walking around the jug. It is believed the soldiers are searching for their alcohol.



Cannon, T. & Whitmore, N. (1979) Ghosts & Legends of Frederick County. Cannon & Whitmore Publishing. Frederick, MD

Goldberg, S. (2017) Jug Bridge: A Little-Known But Key Part of Battle of Monocacy. Frederick News Post retrieved from https://www.fredericknewspost.com/news/arts_and_entertainment/books/jug-bridge-a-little-known-but-key-part-ofbattle/article_785e9721-8758-552d-a00a-3f30a88cf741.html

Ricksecker, M. (2010) Ghosts of Maryland. Schiffer Publishing. Atglen, PA.

Weinberg, A. (1992) Spirits of Frederick. Weinberg Publishing, Braddock Heights, MD.